Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast, also known as “S.O.S” (Sh*t on a Shingle), is a comforting and traditional dish that has stood the test of time. It brings back memories of military mess halls and family gatherings. With its creamy, savory, and hearty taste, it’s the perfect breakfast or brunch option. In this article, we’ll guide you through creating the classic Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast.
Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast Recipe
Savor the nostalgia of Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast with its rich and satisfying flavors. Let’s dive into the recipe!
Below is a comprehensive table featuring all the ingredients you’ll need to make this classic Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast:
- Rinse the dried chipped beef under cold water to remove excess saltiness. Pat it dry with paper towels, then chop it into small pieces.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped dried chipped beef to the melted butter, and cook for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the beef and butter, stirring continuously to create a smooth paste (roux).
- Gradually pour the whole milk into the saucepan, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Season the mixture with black pepper and Worcestershire sauce, giving it a delightful savory flavor.
- Continue cooking the sauce over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it thickens to a creamy consistency.
- Toast slices of bread until golden brown and buttery.
- To serve, place the toasted slices on a plate and generously spoon the creamed chipped beef over the top.
- For an optional finishing touch, garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
Enjoy the creamy and savory goodness of Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast!
- Can I use fresh chipped beef instead of dried? Dried chipped beef is traditional for this recipe, but you can use fresh chipped beef if you prefer. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Can I use a different type of sauce in the creamed chipped beef? While Worcestershire sauce is classic, you can experiment with other savory sauces like hot sauce or Dijon mustard for added flavor.
- Can I make this dish ahead of time? It’s best to prepare and serve Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast immediately for the freshest taste and texture.
- Can I use a different type of bread for the toast? Absolutely! Use your favorite bread, such as white, whole wheat, or sourdough, to suit your preference.
- Can I add onions or garlic to the sauce? Yes, you can sauté chopped onions or garlic before adding the chipped beef to enhance the flavor.
- Can I store leftovers of Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast? Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat gently on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast brings back the nostalgia of simple, hearty, and delicious home-cooked meals. This classic dish is perfect for a comforting breakfast or brunch that will warm your heart and satisfy your taste buds. So, indulge in the traditional goodness of Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast and enjoy every delightful bite!