How many times do you pick up your cell phone and use it every day? Like many people, you probably don’t even give it a second thought but every once in a while, you hear a story that gives you pause.

Recently, a tragedy happened as a result of cell phone use and it is important for people to understand the implications of using them improperly. It occurred when a 16-year-old girl from Italy, Maria Antonietta Cutillo was home alone and using her phone.

She was speaking to a friend and had her phone plugged in at the same time she was using it. She was also taking a bath, so when she dropped the phone in the bathtub, she was electrocuted.

The friend that she was speaking to on the phone became concerned when she got cut off and couldn’t reach her again. She called emergency services and when they came to her home, they found out that she was dead.

Being electrocuted by a cell phone is rare but it does happen on occasion. We’ve heard of other instances where people have been electrocuted, particularly when the phone was being charged.

It’s best to err on the side of caution and only use your cell phone when it is not plugged in. Follow all of the directions offered by the manufacturer, and never use your phone while you are in the bathtub. In fact, you should not have anything charging near water.