The idea that a hero has to be imposing and strong, with movie-star good looks and unwavering courage, is, naturally, a false one.

The truth is that real heroes are the people found in all walks of life; those individuals who are willing to go that extra step to ensure the wellbeing and happiness of someone else.

While none of us can shoot laser beams from our eyes, soar through the skies, or lift objects a thousand times our own body weight, we’re all capable of making a difference to someone’s day. We have the ability to hurt, hearten and heal others with our words and deeds, and that’s not something that should ever be forgotten.

Now, whilst on the subject of heroes, it feels like we’d be remiss in our duties if we didn’t mention the actions of a young boy named Noah, the five-year-old son of Tabitha and Allen Woods, who live with their family in Kingston, Bartow County, Georgia.

Tabitha and Allen share three children: Dakota, Noah, and Lilly. As per reports, Noah was a playful and friendly child who loved goofing around with his little sister, Lily.

In short, the Woods family had everything they wanted, and were enjoying their lives when something happened that almost destroyed their world.

On Sunday, February 9, 2020, Noah was soundly asleep in the bedroom he shared with Lily, when he suddenly woke up to find himself surrounded by smoke and flames.

Though he could so easily have panicked, given his tender years, Noah jumped into action, grabbing his little sister and carrying her through the window. He was also able to save the family dog, but knew that there were others yet inside the building who needed rescuing.

Next, Noah ran to his uncle’s house to wake him up, thus alerting him to the blaze and enabling him to save the lives of the others who might have been otherwise engulfed by it.

Noah’s mom, Tabitha, said she saw smoke coming from her kids’ room when she woke.

“I was so scared that they were still trapped in there,” she said.

Tabitha also told how she’d been teaching her son first safety, but never could have expected him to demonstrate the composure he did.

Indeed, Noah was also hailed by the local Fire Department. Fire Chief Dwayne Jamison, with the Bartow Country Fire Department, said:

“Because of his quick actions, he alerted the rest of the family members, so a total of eight family members were able to get out of the house with only minor injuries and smoke inhalation.”

Bartow County Fire Officials believe an overloaded electrical socket caused the fire in the children’s room. The house had no working smoke detector, meaning things could have ended gravely indeed had Noah not woken up.

In an event in February, 2020, Noah was recognized for his bravery and quick-thinking.

At the ceremony, Fire Chief Jamison said: “Normally our firefighters are being recognized… but we’re here today to recognize one of our local heroes.”

Furthermore, Valentine’s Day has been proclaimed “Noah Woods Day” in Bartow County.

Noah has reportedly expressed a desire to become a police officer when he grows up, while a GoFundMe page established for his family – their entire home was destroyed in the fire – managed to raise over $35,000.

Noah, you are a real hero.